About Me

My photo
Wichita, Kansas, United States

Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Ambition.

_romans 15:20
...It has always been my ambition to preach the gospel where Christ was not known, so that I would not be building on someone else's foundation...

This person's life was dominated by ambition. His name was once "Saul." Now known as Paul, when he met Jesus Christ on the road to Damascus in Acts 9, we can conclude he immediately had a burning passion for those who had not yet accepted God's wrath against Sin poured out on Jesus Christ. (John 3:36) We know this because shortly after his conversion, and receiving his sight back, he spent several days with the disciples in Damascus, and at once began preaching in the synagogues; "Jesus Christ is the Son of God!" 

Oh to have passion. Oh to to have vision. Oh to have this ambition! The text does not say, "It was, or will be for sometime, or lasted for a great season," regarding his ambition and calling... Verse 15 says "ALWAYS," at all times, and all occasions. 

Matthew 22:37-40 is a good place to land. Jesus' commands are simple, not burdensome. (1 John 5:3) This command to LOVE Him above all, is what you and I are made for. To love each other, and every Human being is just as important. That is a call from the Lord we are commanded to obey! 

Often times I wake up with a lack of purpose. I drift from day to day trying to get assignments done, and making sure I check off all the "godly" things I do for the Lord whether or not I do them out of Love or a lack thereof. There is no coherent driving vision of my future when I only make a "checklist." 

Did you spend time with the Lord today? Yes. 
Did you fast today? No. 
Did you share the Love of God with someone today? No. 
Did you try and not sin today? Yes. 

What in the world am I thinking!? Because of my "checklist" lifestyle, I am left drained, and Pharisaical. What does Jesus want of me? Luke 9:23 says it best, "If anyone would come after me, he must deny himself and take up his cross daily and follow Me." 

If all the Lord gets from me is a report card every day, then all I can expect from Jesus is a new exam to study for. 

May we have an AMBITION and not an OCCASION. Our aim must be Jesus. Our passion must be the Lord and His people. Our goal must be telling everyone about the Sin Jesus is wanting to take from those who are in bondage. Our words must boast in the Lord and in our weaknesses so that we can say as Paul says in Romans 15, "I will not venture to speak of anything except what Christ has accomplished through me in leading the Gentiles to obey God by what I have said and done..." 

Paul's vision and ambition caused him to long to visit Spain to declare the Glory of God. We know he never made it there. However he did plan to go. (Romans 15:24) 
I want to wake up each morning with a plan, and vision straight from the throne of God! May we ask the Lord for this! 

Thought for today: When the Lord opens up the Scriptures to us, our hearts will burn within us. Luke 24:32. 





No comments: